Through individualized instruction, Literacy for Life helps learners achieve their personal literacy-related goals in diverse areas such as employment, parenting, and citizenship. While working at Literacy for Life, learners:
- Registered to vote
- Voted in November election for the first time
- Wrote a resume
- Got a better job
- Started a pet sitting business
- Finished the entire Interactive English series (reading, writing, listening & speaking)
- Obtained U.S. citizenship
- Complimented on her improved English by her employer
- Obtained a library card
- Wrote a note to her child’s teacher
- Took her child to the library for the first time
- Took a job as a substitute teacher
- Passed the Virginia driver’s test (written and behind the wheel)
- Made a doctor’s appointment by phone for first time
- Learned how to use the # and * keys when listening to a pre-recorded phone prompt
- Told by her daughter’s teacher that her English has improved
- Surprised her tutor with her first email
- Learned to use an iPad
- Improved writing skills
- Greatly improved typing accuracy and speed
- Passed 3 levels of an EPA certification course for using pesticides at a resort
- Began a class at New Horizons
- Learned 6 new English words today and how to count to 10 and recognize numerals
- Learned how to spell and say her numbers, ordinals, months and days properly
- Started dividing polynomials
- Completed a research paper with citations
- Passed the Virginia Placement test
- Passed the Northstar Microsoft Excel digital literacy test
- Passed all four GED tests
- Passed the TEAS (admission test for RN program)
In May, 2018, Literacy for Life tutors reported:
MJL is making progress! She’s more comfortable now reading and learning new words. She seems to learn quickly; she easily caught on to have/has, did/didn’t, etc.
ET completed Writing 1 Book in preparation for GED
GRP finished the Interactive English 4-A book today.
JC wrote a short story in English
TB got accepted into business school!
AM is writing in complete sentences now and understands the grammar (syntax and conjugation, etc.) of nouns and verbs much better.
IB has completed Levels 1-4 of the Barton program with flying colors. She is an avid reader.
JC has completed Levels 1-3 of the Barton system and we are reviewing his skills in preparation for level 4. Together we are reading a book that he was given 20 years ago and has not been able to read until now.
GJ has shown improvement in reading comprehension and writing! Yea!
MFC passed her driving test
JJ is learning to organize steps in solving math problems… got some complex equations correct
MM is always on time and prepared for class. She is very conscientious and enthusiastic about her tutoring experience.
AM got a driver’s license.
NT passed her citizenship test on May 21st. Ceremony pending.
CS Connor completed his math course and will be graduating from Jamestown High School in June.
PS scored 70% on a paper-simulated GED ready test.
MA has a new job as a hairdresser, his profession – no more dishwashing job!
ML took 2 accounting courses at Thomas Nelson. She got an “A” for each course.
SA read a book on Mother Teresa today. We will continue to spend most of our upcoming sessions reading this “activist series”.
DH has just passed science and social studies GED. YEA!!!
Next Door Neighbor magazine
- As different as we are, we all want the same thing, Next Door Neighbors magazine, March, 2018
- Learner Meiber Gonzalez with staff member and ESL Program Manager Jason Thornton, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Feb. 2018
- “We’re thankful for our volunteer tutors and they’re thankful too,” Next Door Neighbors magazine, Nov. 2017
- Reading Between the Wines: Board member, Terry Murphy and Learner Maria Iruka, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Oct. 2017
- “If you want to help children, invest in adult literacy,” Next Door Neighbors magazine, Aug. 2017
- Literacy for Life Launches New Work Skills Program, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Sept. 2017
- Dr. Richard Lodwick and tutor Pat Russo (HEAL program), Next Door Neighbors magazine, May 2017
- Learner Santina Achiro and Ellen Fithian, M.D., Ph.D. Next Door Neighbors magazine, April 2017
- Learners Rosana Furhmann and Fei Bao and with ESL instructor Sean Sukol, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Mar. 2017
- Learner Nelvia Higgins with tutor Martha Dean, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Jan. 2017
- Learner Edwin Rivera with tutor Betsy Turner, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Dec. 2016
- Outreach Coordinator Andrew Martin, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Oct. 2016
- Learner Alfonso Alves with tutor Steven Heaston, Next Door Neighbors magazine, Aug. 2016
- Learner Stephen Alute with tutor Michelle Hanley, Next Door Neighbors magazine, July 2016
- Learner Shamar with tutor Virnell Bruce, Next Door Neighbors magazine, June 2016
- Rocio Gordillo Bresnahan, “From Bogotá to the ‘Burg,” Next Door Neighbors magazine, May 2016
- ESL instructor, Mary O’Brien, and learner Mado Mameya Next Door Neighbors magazine, May 2016
- Learners Olibar Reynosa and Roger Flores with South of the Border owner, Raul Segovia Next Door Neighbors magazine, April 2016
- Learners Asmita & Jay Patel with tutors Judy Hilburger and Jim Sivells, Next Door Neighbors magazine, March 2016
- Learner Anh Tran with LFL board president, Nathan Mortier Next Door Neighbors magazine, Feb. 2016
- Learner Halyna Drutsul with Monty Hargrove Next Door Neighbors magazine, Jan. 2016